Indonesian Authorities Say It's Still Safe To Head To Bali

Mt Agung's Eruption is imminent

Indonesian Authorities Say It's Still Safe To Head To Bali

Nearly 135,000 people on the Indonesian island of Bali have fled their homes and taken shelter in makeshift evacuation centres after warnings the Mount Agung volcano could erupt at any time.

Despite this, Indonesian tourism officials insist it's still safe to fly. 

Mount Agung's alert status was raised to the highest level last week, since then, tens of thousands of villagers have abandoned their homes beneath the menacing volcano.

The national disaster management agency said many people have fled because they are unsure of their proximity to a 12km exclusion zone imposed around the crater.

 

More than 1000 people were killed the last time Mount Agung erupted, in 1963.

Bali's tourism department on Thursday issued a letter reassuring travellers, and noting that flights were operating normally.

"The island is safe except for areas around Mount Agung. We urge tourists to continue visiting," the letter said.

The transportation minister said on Wednesday that Bali-bound flights could be diverted to 10 airports across the country in case of an eruption.

;